On May 20-21, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 14 State St., Brockport, will host the Seventh Annual Sacred Sites Open House, sponsored by the New York Landmarks Conservancy.
Free tours of the church will be held from 1-4 p.m. each day.
The church’s stained glass windows include three Tiffany windows: a 1914 tri-panel landscape Peace, Perfect Peace, a 1917 Nativity window (depicting mother and child) and the undated Angels at the Cross.
A panorama of the Nativity window was created by Kodak and was on display at
Grand Central Station for the Christmas season in the early 1950s.
Built in 1855, St. Luke’s is the only church designated as an official Landmark Sacred Site in Western Monroe County.
The church was established in 1838, when several women from Brockport held worship services and shared cups of tea in their homes.
The present Gothic Revival church was constructed of Medina sandstone in 1854-1855. It features a seventy-foot spire, including a bell (which was added in 1863) and a chancel (added in 1882-1884). The Parish Hall was erected in 1903.
The sanctuary interior features an exposed wooden roof and trusses, and the church’s original pews.
Since 1986 The New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites program has supported more than 750 religious institutions throughout the state which have received over $9.3 million in matching grants. Sacred Sites is the country’s oldest and largest statewide grant program to help landmark religious properties. For further information, contact the church office at (585) 637- 6650.